When you’re getting ready to move, packing is by far the biggest task ahead of you. It can all seem pretty overwhelming if you let it. However, with some preplanning, packing for a move is actually pretty easy to do. Here are some of the important steps you should take to prepare your stuff for packing.
By following this advice, you’ll easily be able to pack for your move with ease. If you’re interested in bringing on some help with your move, let us provide you with a few quotes from local movers. Simply fill out our request form, and you’ll be on your way to finding a professional company that can assist you with all your moving needs.
- To start with, make sure that you have plenty of moving boxes on hand. You can pick these up from just about every major retailer. If you know someone (or are someone) who works in an office setting, printer paper boxes are perfect for moving stuff in.
- Get a hold of enough labels or markers for your boxes. By slapping labels on or clearly writing on the boxes with the room that it belongs to, you can easily save yourself quite a bit of headache when you get to your new home and are looking for a specific item.
- Buy protective packaging materials. Bubble wrap is a godsend when it comes to protecting your fragile items. Make sure you also pick up a good amount of packing tape to hold the wrap tight and also to keep boxes closed during transit.
- Clean everything. There’s no better time to dust down and wash your stuff than right before you pack it in a box. There’s no sense in bringing dust and dirt with you to your new home, and some things, like laundry, are just easier to pack and move if they’re clean.
- Trash or donate items that you no longer want or need. One of the best parts of packing for a move is that it provides a perfect opportunity to take stock of what you own and if you still want it or not. Lighten your load by donating old clothes to a local charity. Toss that beat up bookshelf to the curb. Don’t move items and then decide that you don’t want them anymore.
- Get as much in each box as possible. When you pack for your move, you’ll get a lot of value from packing things as tightly as possible. This provides two major benefits. Firstly, you’ll have fewer boxes to move which is always helpful. Secondly, a tight pack will prevent jostling during transit and help keep your protect your things.
- Wrap glass table tops in towels or blankets. Quite a few end tables have glass tops to them. Make sure that they stay protected by using soft wrapping such as towels or blankets. A bonus is you don’t have to pack the towels you use!
- Start with non-essential stuff. As the move gets closer and you start to pack, always start with non-essential items first. This lets you get started on the packing process several days ahead of time without putting yourself out. It helps with stress levels to spread your packing out a bit also.
- Keep same room boxes together. Don’t spread out your boxes! By keeping rooms together, it’ll be that much easier to get things to their new destination in the next home.
- Consider self-storage. If your new home doesn’t have room for everything that you need to keep, have a look into a self-storage unit. This way you’ll be able to keep your stuff safe from the elements and not have to live around boxes forever.